Skip to main content

Life Changing


It is hard to explain how I feel, now that I have found my calling. I remember when I was a little boy and my dad used to say how much he loved his work, how he was always excited about it, and how it didn’t feel like work to him. As I grew older I envied him, and anyone else who had that experience, because I didn’t share the sentiment for most of my adult life.

Let me be clear, I never hated my job. I just didn’t feel like it was what I was supposed to be doing. I felt that there was something much more important that I should be doing with my life than working for someone else. And now, having finished my first book and being well on my way with writing my second, I am loving every moment of it.

The most amazing thing about writing, for me, is that I can spin off on tangents and follow rabbit holes and when I am done, as long as I come back to somewhere near the surface where I started, no one knows that it wasn’t a perfectly orchestrated writing technique that I had planned all along!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing background...

I began writing at a very young age and really never stopped. I wrote in journals, I wrote short stories, and I wrote poems. I also wrote a lot for work. That was an interesting oeuvre, to be honest, and one that might be of interest someday. The work-related writing included both highly technical instructions and also letters of apology to guests who felt slighted in some way during their stay with us at the hotel. Although most of this isn’t publicly available, I am certain that some of my responses to guests on TripAdvisor are still there. It took me fifty years but I recently finished my first book, a memoir, entitled “B. Coming Burl” and self published it using Kindle Direct Publishing. Even before I published it I began writing my second book, which I plan to finish this summer (2020). It is entitled “When I was a child I found the entrance to hell to be a real place”. Although this second book is fictional, it has a lot of me in it. Thank you for finding my blog. ...

Have to pinch myself

I have to pinch myself a lot lately. I have been a writer my entire life but only now am I writing with earnestness and purpose, like my life depended on it, and I love it. I want to sing out, “I want to be a paperback writer” because, all of the sudden, I am a paperback writer! And now, on top of that, I am blogging about it too! The reality is that I gained this new-found confidence when I finally became sober. When I was drinking and using drugs I was writing but I wasn’t able to keep my mind focused on what my calling was, I was too busy looking for the next fleeting high. Now that I am plunged into the depths of profound sobriety, my restless mind pounces on new ideas relentlessly. And, as one who was introduced as “my Grandson, the one with the vivid imagination”, I can’t help but see the world through a lens that is more convex than the concave glasses everyone else is peering through.

Missing Pieces

After I finished B. Coming Burl, I was fortunate to have many people read it who had grown up with me and knew for themselves, or who had grown old with me telling them my stories of a misguided youth. Several of them reminded me about stories that I either (1) had to edit out during revisions, or (2) had forgotten to include. So now I have decided to share a few of these missing pieces - teasers for those who haven’t read it, and a bonus for those who have. One story was from way back in the mists of my youth, when I was about four years old. We would make periodic pilgrimages to Nogales, Mexico as a family to buy essentials. I have fond memories of the small family-owned grocery store where my dad would buy cafĂ© combate in small burlap bags, which the owner would grind for us in the back of the store, filling the space with the most amazing smell of fresh coffee. We would buy salsa from the factory and my brothers would buy fireworks to blow things up when we got home. Th...